We’ve all been there, spending countless hours pulling together dozens of performance reports, and by the time you make sense of the numbers, they’ve already reached their expiration date.
As hotel marketers, we have access to a deluge of information, but it can be
Don’t panic—we’ve got three simple and effective ways to dodge data overwhelm.
1. Stop Siloing Your Data: Siloed data makes understanding the interconnected relationships between your marketing channels nearly impossible and you lose context of how those different channels work with one another. For example, a prospect follows your Instagram Stories because they want to experience a sense of escape. One day, you launch an exclusive offer on your Stories. The following week, you launch the same promotion, however, this time you decide to put some ad spend against it. Both offers have the same messaging, and are published at the same day and time of the week. Both offers drive prospects to your booking page. The only difference is that one of the offers has an ad spend. If you were analyzing your data in isolation, you wouldn’t be able assess the impact of the offers with or without spend. You couldn’t then act against the results to further optimize for date/time of the offer, messaging, etc.
You lose analysis nuance because you’re only reviewing by-platform results, not the efficacy of the relationships between the platforms. While it’s important to understand the efficacy of each of your data streams, the real power behind your performance data is in understanding how all of it works together in driving revenue. Attribution can never be determined through data isolation. Here are a few key ways to break the silo habit.
· Combine siloed data into a single view: Start by organizing by your paid, owned, earned, and partner media analytics for your hotels and properties. For example, digital and social data driving commerce should be on one slide, don’t have digital and social on different slides if you’re using PowerPoint.
· Examine the entire customer journey: Here’s where most businesses misstep—rather than looking at the entire customer journey, they focus on a single touchpoint. Look at the entire customer journey from brand awareness to online leads to hotel bookings to increased profits. When picking key performance indicators (KPIs), select metrics from each step in the journey. For example, rather than drawing a direct correlation between display ads and product purchases, take into account other signals customers are receiving, like email marketing, social media, and even the placement of your key terms in organic search. These metrics as a whole will inform the success of your campaign.
· Work with a real-time visualization platform: When it comes to avoiding metrics overload and understanding your marketing data, take a holistic approach. Thanks to natural company divisions, it can be second nature to fall into focusing on
2. Streamline Data with Simple Tools: You’d be surprised how many hours are lost to admin activities. With a few simple tools, you can streamline your data collection and get back to booking more heads in hotel beds.
· Password managers like LastPass and Keeper make logging simple, remembering all of your passwords so you don’t have to scramble.
· Collaborative organization tools such as Diigo allow you to save, tag, file, and annotate all of links, references, and personal notes in one dashboard. No more flipping through an endless number of tabs in Chrome and Safari. Other organization tools include using AI news intelligence, social listening and guest feedback platforms and so much more.
Pro-tip: Don’t sign any long-term contracts with vendors that don’t automatically integrate with open APIs! Open APIs means increased efficiencies and data access with ease.
3. Tighten Your Team’s Time Management: Time management is an often overlooked, yet critical discipline in dialing down wasted resources. From creating alignment on report expectations (what to include, recipient list, due dates) to allocating time blocks where your team can focus on one activity at a time instead of multitasking, communication with your team on reports and overall work priorities ensures that your staff is spending their time effectively. At the end of the day, if you’re not generating revenue, you’re incurring cost.
You can also simplify the process by working with a provider that does all work for you and presents it in a real-time, simple-to-view dashboard. Even when you get your data organized, accessing, analyzing, and taking action on your analytics, when you have to manually pull and tabulate it from a slew of sources, can still cause a serious strain on your resources.
Hotel Heartbeat cuts time-consuming tasks by aggregating your metrics into one dashboard. Imagine a customizable, 360° view of your hotel’s media and PR intelligence, social analytics, marketing metrics, reviews, and more in real-time, in one place, on any device. The hours spent on customizing reports for execs? Gone. Now you can get back to what matters most—building relationships with your customers and standing apart from the pack.
Want to learn more? Book a demo today.